** Candidates are required to be domiciled and located within the continental US. Relocation to Chicago, IL not required. Remote work candidates encouraged to apply **
You aren’t interested in maintaining things, but scaling and building. Seeing your team’s work being used by hundreds of thousands of people on a daily basis makes you tick. Your team pushes code and bam, people are instantly using it. Sometimes it sucks. Many times it’s awesome. All the time it’s motivating and thrilling.
- View engineering as equal parts art and science. There is such a thing as beautiful code. And the creative juices you get to flex through technical challenges you find therapeutic.
- Are okay with sucking at things - you gotta learn it somehow and in the beginning you might suck.
- Have some legendary stories about really screwing up a rollout or feature. It created some scars and calluses you won’t soon forget.
- Know that data can tell a good portion of the story and provide the foundation, but engaging with humans and qualitative insights paints the full picture.
- Ask the right questions and, when facing a problem, you peel away the layers to reveal the core issue and don’t address just the symptoms. You lean on your instincts and good judgment.
- Have a mind for scaling systems, building strong foundations with code with an eye to short, medium and long term growth.
THE OPPORTUNITY & THE IMPACT
We are Jiobit; a hardware-enabled software company that helps families of all shapes and sizes move forward with ease. We make a suite of location monitoring devices and apps. Our flagship consumer product is the smallest, longest-lasting, most secure location tracker available.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. This is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and who wants to both enable (and mentor) those around them to create successes and grow but is also excited to make an impact with their own hands.
We are looking for someone to join us as a Senior Platform Engineer. You would report to the Chief Technology Officer. At the end of the day, this person will play a key role in helping scale Jiobit’s business through technology and engineering - helping to build award winning, and customer-loving products.
You will be responsible for:
- The reliability, scalability, and functionality for the core software platform supporting all aspects of the product experience. This means you care deeply about scale, systems, infrastructure, and optimization.
- Extending and scaling our infrastructure (on AWS and GCP), optimizing the performance of our software and building the core architecture with a mind towards future product capabilities. This means you like to build maps, solve puzzles, and see the benefits of having a strong core foundation.
- Designing, building, maintaining, and developing the underlying infrastructure of our React, Android, and iOS applications, and troubleshooting and supporting the presentation layer.
On a daily basis, you will be working alongside a product manager, cloud, mobile, and firmware engineers to build and support the core platform architecture.
In particular, the ideal candidate will be:
- Data hungry - You are highly analytical and you love data. You care about observability in systems and finding ways to improve transparency of systems.
- Curious - You don’t need expertise in every aspect of our tech stack, but want to learn more and find it exciting. You don’t wait for permission to kick down the door and relentlessly hunt down problems to solve.
- Proactive - You don’t need to wait to be told to do something and value autonomy.
- Process minded / outcome driven - You keep a focus on the outcome and are innovative in your solutions. Propose multiple solutions. You know that done is better than perfect.
- Innovation engine - You bring new, challenging ideas, articulate costs and benefits and propose paths forward to the team both within and outside engineering.
- Mentor - You’re interested in coaching others to learn and grow and lead by example.
- Product minded - You demonstrate a passion for the end to end consumer experience and don’t just think about engineering on a project basis.
- Systems thinking - You view development in the context of the entire software stack as well the impact of data.
- Collaborative - You understand that to regularly achieve positive outcomes, a diverse set of perspectives is best to tackle opportunities, so you actively engage your teammates' perspective in developing potential solutions.
MORE ABOUT US - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJld3ZgvL_s
Jiobit is the first of its kind patented location sharing platform, enabling the longest lasting and smallest real-time location products (indoor or out) with best-in-class security. Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of pet owners and families, as well as enterprise customers, with usage in every populated continent in the world.
- Our mission is to provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
- We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth and reduce stress
- We envision a world where families move forward with ease using a single source of helpful information
- Everything we do and everyone who works here is centered around this mission
- Basically, this is the moment you opt-out if you’re not into it
- We provide competitive compensation, generous stock options, ample benefits, and clear and concise pathways to personal and professional growth within the organization
Jiobit has won an Editor's Choice Award with PCMag and has been featured on CNBC, Buzzfeed, Techcrunch, and USA Today to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a strategic investment from Netgear, Inc., along with Chicago-based Venture Capital firm, MATH Venture Partners, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Unlimited time off to juggle work/life balance
- Flexible work hours and location (optional work from office, expected work from home through most, if not all, of 2020)
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
- Paid holidays
- Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
- Competitive Stock Option & Equity Packages
- Cash compensation between $110,000 and $135,000 (location dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone driven adjustments
MORE ABOUT YOU
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience, with at least 3 years of experience in software development.
- Knowledge of Google Cloud Platform and/or Amazon Web Services (experience with both preferred but not critical).
- Experience with Java and backend frameworks (we use the Spring framework Spring Boot, Spring).
- Experience developing and working with REST APIs.
- Experience with relational and document databases.
- Good understanding of scalable web application design patterns and architecture principles including messaging architectures, caching and networking.
- DevOps experience including continuous integration, deploying and running applications via Docker in a test and production environment etc.
- A mindset for performance and observability.
- Understanding of the Agile development practices and the software development lifecycle.
- Experience or interest in leading/mentoring other software engineers and providing technical guidance to engineers and product managers.
- Effective communicator and collaborator across teams.
- Authorized to work in the US (Citizen or Permanent Resident), no H1-B sponsorships.
OUR STACK (FOR REFERENCE)
- Cloud - AWS (IoT, Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS), Google Cloud Platform (AppEngine, Compute Engine, Pub/Sub), Java, Python, Go, SpringBoot, Guice
- Cloud Monitoring Tools (GCP Stackdriver, AWS CloudWatch)
- Data Store - Fully Encrypted NoSQL Datastores (GCP Datastore, AWS DynamoDB)
- Mobile Applications - Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift/Objective-C)
- Web Apps - React, PHP, JS/jQuery, Node.js, HTML
- Tools & APIs - Github, Jenkins, Jira, Firebase, Google Analytics, Amplitude, Intercom, Google Geolocation
- Embedded C (device level firmware)