** Candidates are required to be domiciled and located within the continental US. Relocation to Chicago, IL not required. Remote work candidates encouraged to apply **
You love getting to the bottom of a problem. You take multiple signals, see the root cause and even go so far as to propose (and maybe implement!) fixes. You understand the user experience and can see things through that perspective. You are equal parts high level and low level in your thinking. You support both hardware and software troubleshooting and love the rough edges in the integration of two forms of engineering. Sometimes it sucks. Many times it’s awesome. All the time it’s motivating and thrilling.
- View supporting engineering efforts as equal parts art and science. There is such a thing as beautiful code which can produce beautiful problems. And the creative juices you get to flex through technical challenges you find therapeutic.
- Are okay with sucking at things, living with uncertainty and ambiguity - you gotta learn it somehow and in the beginning you might suck.
- Love solving puzzles and peeling back layers until you find the answer, but also know when to reach out for help.
- Know that data can tell a good portion of the story and provide the foundation, but engaging with humans, user feedback and qualitative insights can help paint the full picture.
- Ask the right questions and, when facing a problem, you peel away the layers to reveal the core issue and don’t address just the symptoms. You lean on your instincts and good judgment.
- Advocate for the user, the product owner, the engineer and the customer support team at the same time. You know what “good” looks like and are able to play a mediator role when conflicting perspectives arise.
THE OPPORTUNITY & THE IMPACT
We are Jiobit; a hardware-enabled software company that helps families of all shapes and sizes move forward with ease. We make a suite of location monitoring devices and apps. Our flagship consumer product is the smallest, longest-lasting, most secure location tracker available.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. This is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and who wants to both enable (and mentor) those around them to create successes and grow but is also excited to make an impact with their own hands.
We are looking for someone to join Jiobit as a Senior Software Support Engineer. You would report to the Chief Technology Officer and would play a key role in supporting Jiobit’s business through technology and engineering--helping to refine and improve our award winning, and customer-loving products. This is the first support engineering role at the company and may scale into a leadership role within a larger team in the future.
You will be responsible for:
- Participating in the process for supporting engineering and improving the customer experience.
- Being an advocate for the right people at the right times and serving as a mediator between teams. This means you have a product-centric mindset and take an iterative approach to development.
- Troubleshooting and performing root cause analysis in conjunction with the software and hardware engineering teams. This means you’ll be working directly with stakeholders to support existing hardware and software infrastructure along with planning and supporting support processes for future product iterations.
On a daily basis, you will be working alongside the customer experience teams as well as product manager, and cloud, mobile, & firmware engineers to support troubleshooting, root cause analysis and remediation of issues. Your insights into both the hardware and software stack will allow you to transcend individual viewpoints and see the whole picture. You would also advocate for changes to our systems, our process, documentation or any other aspect to prevent a recurrence.
In particular, the ideal candidate will be:
- Data hungry - You are highly analytical and you love data. You need actionable information to solve problems and are able to advocate for this need.
- Curious - You want to learn more about every part of the product from hardware to software. You don’t wait for permission to kick down the door and relentlessly hunt down problems to solve.
- Proactive - You don’t need to wait to be told to do something and value being proactive.
- Process minded / outcome driven - You keep a focus on the outcome and are innovative in your solutions.
- Product minded - You demonstrate a passion for the end to end consumer experience and don’t just think about your work on a project basis.
- Systems thinking - You view support in the context of the hardware and software stack.
MORE ABOUT US - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJld3ZgvL_s
Jiobit is the first of its kind patented location sharing platform, enabling the longest lasting and smallest real-time location products (indoor or out) with best-in-class security. Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of pet owners and families, as well as enterprise customers, with usage in every populated continent in the world.
- Our mission is to provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
- We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth and reduce stress
- We envision a world where families move forward with ease using a single source of helpful information
- Everything we do and everyone who works here is centered around this mission
- Basically, this is the moment you opt-out if you’re not into it
- We provide competitive compensation, generous stock options, ample benefits, and clear and concise pathways to personal and professional growth within the organization
Jiobit has won an Editor's Choice Award with PCMag and has been featured on CNBC, Buzzfeed, Techcrunch, and USA Today to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a strategic investment from Netgear, Inc., along with Chicago-based Venture Capital firm, MATH Venture Partners, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Unlimited time off to juggle work/life balance
- Flexible work hours and location
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
- Paid holidays
- Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
- Competitive Stock Option & Equity Packages
- Cash compensation between $75,000 and $135,000 (location and seniority dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone driven adjustments
MORE ABOUT YOU
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience, with at least 3 years of experience in test automation, test engineering, customer support or quality assurance.
- Effective communicator and collaborator across teams including Engineering, Product and Customer Experience.
- Hardware troubleshooting experience is a big plus.
- Ability to read and understand code. Bonus points if you’re able to write code.
- A wIllingness to grow into a leadership role by being the first support engineer and building infrastructure and process for a future team.
- Knowledge of cloud services such as Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services.
- Experience working with and troubleshooting software systems.
- Understanding of the Agile development practices and the software development lifecycle.
- Experience or interest in leading/mentoring other engineers and providing technical guidance to engineers and product managers.
- Authorized to work in the US (Citizen or Permanent Resident), no H1-B sponsorships.
OUR STACK (FOR REFERENCE)
- Cloud - AWS (IoT, Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS), Google Cloud Platform (AppEngine, Compute Engine, Pub/Sub), Java, Python, Go, SpringBoot, Guice
- Cloud Monitoring Tools (GCP Stackdriver, AWS CloudWatch)
- Data Store - Fully Encrypted NoSQL Datastores (GCP Datastore, AWS DynamoDB)
- Mobile Applications - Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift/Objective-C)
- Web Apps - React, PHP, JS/jQuery, Node.js, HTML
- Tools & APIs - Github, Jenkins, Jira, Firebase, Google Analytics, Amplitude, Intercom, Google Geolocation
- Embedded C (device level firmware)